Laser dentistry is an exciting, time-tested way to make many dental procedures simpler, easier, and quicker when compared to traditional methods.
Located in Mountain View, CA, Dr. Latha is proud to offer this exciting dental treatment method at our practice. Laser dentistry is part of our commitment to provide patients with exception dental care in a comfortable office environment. We aim to make every treatment comfortable, with the overall goal of enhancing and perfecting each of our patient’s smiles. For more information about our practice or any of the services we offer, contact us today.
What is Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry is the use of laser technology in a wide range of dental procedures, often in conjunction with other dental instruments. Laser techniques have been utilized in dental practices since the 1990s.
Dental lasers have a variety of potential uses. Some of these include:
- Removing decay and bacteria
- Reducing pain associated with canker sores
- Removing muscle attachments
- Removing overgrown or inflamed tissue
- Treating infections
- Performing biopsies
- Speeding tooth whitening procedures
- Strengthening the bond between fillings and teeth
When used by a skilled, well-trained medical team like the one at Dr. Latha’s, lasers are an excellent tool to administer, improve and speed up dental treatments.
Experience the Difference of Fellowship-Trained Dentist Dr. Latha Subramanian!
Almost everyone has been to a dentist in their adult lives, but have you experienced the difference of one who is fellowship trained? Dr. Latha has received advanced fellowship training with the Academy of Laser Dentistry and the World Clinical Laser Institute. For both of these, she had to pass multiple tests, complete 50+ hours in laser continuing education, and present two patient cases to the board of different types of laser treatments for the board’s approval.
What are the Benefits of Laser Dentistry?
Before laser dentistry became popular, many dentists had to resort to surgical procedures that required anesthesia to fix minor dental problems. With laser dentistry, patients can have things like canker sores, small areas of overgrown or inflamed tissue, and minor infections treated without the need for surgery. This increases the overall comfort and ease of a patient’s dental visits.
By replacing many traditional surgical techniques with laser alternatives, laser dentistry also decreases the amount of downtime associated with dental procedures. Laser energy cauterizes the area it is used on, sealing the wound in a quick, sterile manner.
Can Laser Dentistry be Incorporated into Your Dental Procedure?
While lasers can be utilized in a wide variety of dental treatments, there are some procedures that must be performed exclusively with traditional equipment. During your initial consultation appointment, Dr. Latha Subramanian will assess your dental problem and decide if it will be necessary or beneficial to incorporate laser dentistry into your treatment.
We use WaterLase, Epic, and Styla lasers for:
- Periodontal gum treatments
- Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMJ)
- Bacteria is killed in the targeted area
- Bonding strength of the fillings is increased, resulting in longer lasting fillings
- Can be more comfortable in comparison to drilling
- Helps promote healthier structures by removing only decayed or damaged portions of teeth or gums
- Makes for easier removal of decayed or damaged teeth while keeping healthy gum tissue intact
Periodontal Gum Treatments
- Faster healing times than most regular traditional gum surgeries
- Sterilizes the treated area, preventing bacteria to interfere in the gums healing process
- Only damaged gum tissue and bacteria are removed
- Healthy gum tissue remains to promote faster healing
- Lasers can reach microscopic bacteria to help create cleaner pockets in the gums
- Can target bacteria on a level that couldn’t normally be reached
Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMJ)
- Blood flow is improved and increased in the treatment site
- Can promote muscle relaxation and faster healing
- Using a laser allows for brighter, whiter results for your ideal smile
- The laser has greater penetration than most whitening treatments to provide optimal results
If you’d like more information about this effective method of dental treatment, don’t hesitate — contact Dr. Latha today. She’s happy to answer any of your questions, or get you set up with a consultation appointment. We look forward to hearing from you!